Why Health Together
First, a few words from the legal team (we agree with them): Health Together is not a medical care provider. Always check with your care provider regarding any decisions about your health and your treatment.
Health Together exists to bring community back into healthcare, empower patients and caregivers to share knowledge and resources, and provide helpful content to its members. Why choose Health Together over other platforms that promise similar things?
Your Health First
We measure everything we do with one simple question: “Is this helpful to our community?” This means:
- We only add features that can help our members in their healing journeys.
- We remove people who seem more interested in distracting the community than supporting it.
- We keep our staff small to make sure we invest most of our money in helpful content and user experience.
- We do our best to provide information that can aid our members.
We Don’t Squeeze Your Whole Health Into Our Neat Boxes
Many platforms and companies will put you into a box, like Diabetes or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, because that’s what our health system does. They aren’t designed to deal with multiple interrelated conditions, and they want to be able to tell their advertisers, “We can give you 100,000 viewers with diabetes.” But sickness and wellness often don’t work that way.
- We know conditions are interrelated, and you may want to talk about several at the same time (you can use "tags" to do so).
- Classifying people by a single illness or condition is how medical care is done, but it’s not how people experience their biggest challenges.
- Health Together is designed so you can help each other heal, not so we can sell your problems to drug companies and medical providers.
That noted, we make it easy to find what you’re looking for. The following top-level categories are easy to get to, and each has numerous sub-categories in which you can post or search.
- Autoimmune Illnesses
- Chronic Diseases and Conditions
- End of Life
- Infectious Diseases
- Mental Health
- Sleep-Wake Disoders
- Wellness and Exercise
You can also easily search for Healthangels by knowledge area or location.
Honesty & Integrity
Many businesses put profits first and mission second or third. They raise money and get into difficult positions where they have to prioritize investors or advertisers, and not their users. We definitely value investors and other stakeholders, but our users' experience matters most:
- We do not create click-bait that can be used to show how “engaged” you are because you did a bunch of clicking that didn't feel good.
- We will not crowd your interface with money-making schemes that leave you wondering, “Why am I seeing this?” and, “Do I have to click this before getting where I want?”
- We keep our costs low to make sure we can cater to you first.
- While we need some money to run Health Together, we will only engage with partners, advertisers, and investors in a way that aligns with our integrity.
We deeply respect medical professionals. But we also know that each patient deals with a unique set of related symptoms and experiences, and they know as much or more about their particular experience than a medical professional ever could.
- We want to empower you to share, learn, understand, and heal together.
- We believe that insights shared by patients and care-givers can change health care for the better.
- We think that helping others is one of the most healthy ways to heal yourself and make meaning from your experiences.
- The government, healthcare organizations, and medical professionals have always controlled the conversation. We want to give patients and caregivers a place where they can control the conversation.
Knowledge Doesn't Care About Degrees
Helpful knowledge can come from anyone with meaningful experience or interest, no matter their job or the letters behind their name. Our community is designed to help the best contributors and the best information rise to the top.
- We want you to have a place to contribute your hard-won knowledge and wisdom.
- You should have an opportunity to be recognized for contributing good content.
We believe someday medical care will better incorporate the wide range of human experience. We created Health Together so that all of us regular people -- patients and caregivers alike -- can influence that change.